"So throw away those Lamentations,
We both know them all too well.
If there's a Book of Jubilations,
We'll have to write it for ourselves.."

-Josh Ritter




Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The back talk never stops

Nora is growing so fast right now that I swear the way her clothes fit changes while she's at daycare. Unfortunately, all my cute pictures of her are on my dead-as-a-doornail phone. I promise to post some when it is sufficiently charged.

In the meantime, I should relate some of the particularly amusing/appalling/adorable things that have some out of her mouth lately.

1. "Mommy, teeter-totter is a funny word, huh?"

2. "I do not like my new friends. I like Lilly McCord."

3. This one goes in the "proof that she is her father's daughter" file. We've been working on potty training. She gets a mini M&M when she goes on the potty. Nora loves her M's. On the long drive from St. Paul to Duluth yesterday, she said, "Daddy, I need to go potty." Despite his best effort, Daddy did not get her to a bathroom in time and she didn't make it. This made her very upset. Daddy wiped away the tears, told her it was okay, and gave her an M&M for trying. At which point her sorrow turned to blind rage. She shouted "No!" and threw the M&M back at Daddy. A 30 minute tantrum ensued.

Don't placate me, Daddy.

4. "Mommy, don't walk there. I'm cleaning the floors." (She was, in fact, cleaning the floor. Silly Mommy.)

5. Nora has a really annoying habit of banging her fork on her plate at dinnertime. She knows it drives us nuts. So she started into it at dinner last night. We were talking, so we ignored it at first and kept talking. The banging fork got progressively louder. Finally, Kat shot her "the look," and simply said, "Nora?" To which Nora replied, "I go time out now!" then ran to her T.O. chair, set the timer, waited quietly for 2 minutes, turned off the timer, came out and said, "I all better." She was delightful for the rest of the night.

6 comments:

jenni said...

I miss HER!!

I was just telling Gregg, how Lilly seems to be unenthusiastic about the other 2 year olds at daycare. Gregg replied that is just how two year olds are, they parallel play (they must teach this in real doctor school). So unique that Nora and Lilly bond!

PS. Lilly must have watched the video of Nora and her cousin running like 10 times. more "Mora", more....

Tam said...

She's also very sure that Charlie and Lola (the cats) are enthralled with her. She walked around our house this weekend saying "CharlieLola love me, huh Mimi?"

Gregg said...

This seriously made me laugh. Oh yeah, and I don't know if this means anything to you guys, but I got an email from the NBME today and it said PASS, 260/99. Just thought I would share the news. Miss you guys.

MJT said...

Sure miss the little stinker! Thank you for posting.

Anonymous said...

I think I will learn from Nora and put myself in Time Out whenever I stop being delightful. Does it take longer if I'm bigger?

Elena said...

Wow! I love the time out story best! If thats not Dwight coming out in her, nothing is!!!!
Go Nora!!!!