"So throw away those Lamentations,
We both know them all too well.
If there's a Book of Jubilations,
We'll have to write it for ourselves.."

-Josh Ritter




Saturday, November 22, 2008

Snowy days

It's getting chilly here in central PA. We had our first snow that stuck yesterday. In fact, it has at least flurried everyday this week and the snow that stuck has stuck around and was joined by another inch today.

Nora thinks that this is the coolest invention ever. (And by corollary, probably invented by Daddy.) I have been continually serenaded with a repeating chorus of "Mo' 'now? Mo' 'now? Mo' 'now peassssse? Moooo!" That last bit is usually only when we're passing the farm down the road, but it's still funny to me.

Nora was not always entranced with snow, however. I chronicled her first reactions to the white stuff. She did warm up, but her initial take on it is priceless. I feel like I should do a dramatic, single-person, slow-motion standing ovation for her dramatic performance of "Abused Waif in the Cold." Seriously, kid. Replace that pink synthetic jacket for a torn shawl and a woolen babushka and you should be wandering the streets of 1930s Glasgow.




See? She did start enjoying herself eventually. And has discovered that snow means hats. And mittens. Just more reasons to love snow.


2 comments:

MJT said...

How very sweet! I thoroughly enjoy both the photos AND your captivating prose!

Anonymous said...

These pictures really capture something that about parenthood that's tough to catch on film. Watching Nora discover and react to the world around her is just about the best part about being Daddy, at least in my opinion.

Also, she really does seem to love the snow. I'm glad I invented it.