"So throw away those Lamentations,
We both know them all too well.
If there's a Book of Jubilations,
We'll have to write it for ourselves.."

-Josh Ritter




Sunday, November 16, 2008

Third- and Fourth-guessing

Do you ever second-guess your parenting skills? Because I do. All the time. I'm incapable of deciding whether it was appropriate to let Nora play in the rain, or if that time-out was called for, or if it was too long, or if I should have put a heavier coat on her. And are people judging me as a mother for not putting a hat on my baby? (Answer: Almost certainly. But those people are generally the ones that I am secretly picturing taking a long stroll off a short pier.)

Here's a good example. In my last post, I talked about taking Nora to her well child check up. Things went fine. The post itself is a study in parental anxiety and doubt, but things went fine. After I posted that, something was nagging at me and I couldn't quite shake it off.

Nora is a normal normal normal kid. She is developing well and is a good size . Fiftieth percentile for height and seventy-fifth for weight- in other words, pretty average for a twenty-one month old. I was still dressing her in 18 month clothes. And not just one brand or style. We've barely bought any 24 month clothes. Why bother when these are fitting just fine?

But were these clothes fitting fine? What if some weird hang up in my own mind had me squeezing my child into jeans that were uncomfortably tight and she simply hadn't developed the language skills to say, "Excuse me, Mother, but I feel that these dungarees are a tad close in the waist. In fact, I have trouble breathing and playing at the same time after lunch most days."

Nora's crabby? It's obviously because her diapers were too tight and her mother was too self-absorbed to notice. Not eating dinner? It's due to her shirt dangerously constricting her jejunum. Pants hard to deal with during a diaper change? Pajamas amok in the morning? Socks fell off?

So I informed Eric that if we didn't want Children and Youth Services after us, we were going to have to make a trip to the outlets. To his everlasting credit, he only rolled his eyes once and barely sniggered at all. And he chased Nora around Carter's while I grabbed jeans in a size that was obviously more age-appropriate, flattering and ergonomically correct.

I felt so much better. I put those jeans on Nora this morning knowing that I am a good mother who bought those pants for all the right reasons. They were easy to pull on. They didn't strain to button. Nora talked excitedly about the flowers embroidered so fetchingly on the waistband. I set her down to run off and play, knowing that she would be comfortable and happy.

And the jeans fell off.

8 comments:

Rachel said...

LOL. oh, kat, you are so wonderful. LOVE this post!

Fat Clown said...

Your inner monologue says "dungarees" when speaking in your daughter's voice? Dude, one of you is _such_ a nerd.

MJT said...

I can not even respond, I am laughing so hard. The only way this post could be better is if you attached a photo of the dungarees falling off poor, abused Nora Lee.

Anonymous said...

To be fair, the pants only fell off because she kept walking on the cuffs. Which had already been fasionably rolled up on account of them being 3" too long. You walk on your pant cuffs all the time, so maybe its genetic. Clearly, there's nothing you could have done to stop it. She only fell over once or twice on account of her pants hanging around her ankles, and she laughed about it. So clearly she's better off this way. And you are not crazy. You're an amazing mother. And you're beautiful. And I love you.

MJT said...

Now that certainly IS a model supportive husband!

Rachel said...

and it totally IS genetic because kat DOES walk on her pants all the time!

ATubay said...

I've wrestled with the same issue for a few months now. After reading your post, it's finally become clear to me: THE MAN is trying to f*^k with us. Baby clothes are magically designed to fit any size baby. Otherwise, why would my 10 month old be able to wear an 18mo shirt but still fit into his 3-6mo skull and crossbones onesie? (It totally fits, too. It's supposed to be snug). They just put different age labels on the tag so we think we have to buy more stuff. If you wanted to (and if not for the poo and vomit stains) you could just leave your kid in the same outfit for his/her whole childhood.

Jim J. said...

Here's you and the MSH if you aren't careful...