"So throw away those Lamentations,
We both know them all too well.
If there's a Book of Jubilations,
We'll have to write it for ourselves.."

-Josh Ritter




Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Stay of Execution

So, I showed up for work yesterday morning to blank stares and an empty schedule. They thought I wasn't coming back until today. So, I promptly left and did absolutely nothing with my day. Hey, it was a freebie, right?

That is, until late afternoon. I decided that since there was no agenda/schedule, I wanted to ride my bike to pick up Nora at daycare. I arrived sweaty and happy to blank stares for an entirely different reason. The cycling gloves in hot turquiose with the fingers cut off may have had something to do with it.

As usual, Nora saw me, gave me a big smile and kept right on playing. She often makes me chase her around the room while she giggles and squeals in order to take her home. So I said, "Nora, do you want to take a ride on the bike?"

She looked at me, looked at the toys, thought for a moment....Then she turned to the other kids, yelled, "Bye!" and ran for me.

Bikes are delightful. I've been saying it for a while.

At every stop sign, Nora waved, yelled, "Hi!" and generally charmed passers-by on foot and in cars. She got lots of waves, stares and honks.

Apparently, it's tiring to be a social butterfly, though. About halfway home, she fell dead asleep. She grumbled at me a couple of times when I had to stand up to make it up a hill, but she really didn't wake up until we were in the garage and I was taking off her helmet.

I think I actually detected some disappointment when I put her in the boring old carseat in the boring old car to take her in to daycare this morning.

Boring old Mommy.

1 comment:

MJT said...

Nice surprise...another day off! Doing nothing is a good thing